Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  11:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Suggestions wanted for a Newbie

Martha Merrill wrote:

Anyway, I'm 21 now and
> I am interested in getting some feedback as to whether or not I have any
> "potential" and to see if I would like vocal training. But I'm not sure
> where to start. Does anyone know of any good voice teachers in the
> Norman/Oklahoma City, OK area? What types of things should I look for in a
> teacher? Are there things I should do before starting lessons? Have I
> started too late to be trainable? I love listening to opera, musical
> theatre, and some contemporary christian music, but I fear my tastes tend
> toward the plebian side. What I really would like is to be able to do
> community or semi-professional performance (opera or musical theatre) and be
> more comfortable when I perform church solos. Well, enough rambling...

It's great that you have a goal that you've so clearly
articulated! That will make you a delight for any teacher
you study with.

No, you have not started too late by any means. I started
much older than you, and I get paid to sing now.

If you don't get specific teacher suggestions, here are a
few ideas on getting started. Check out the music program
at your local Community College. You may find they have
teachers there you can study with privately, and you may
also find that they have "class voice", which is a great way
to see what voice study is about, and have a frame of
reference (and a few contacts) for choosing a private
teacher to study with. That's how I got started.

Good luck!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...