Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Sat May 5, 2001  11:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS)

I lived in Fresno for a year. The public radio station there only played
classical standards that I had first heard as a child. I very much missed
the quality talk radio that I had become addicted to when a resident of the
greater Washington DC metro area. I hasten to add that when I first arrive
there in the early 80s, WGMS played afternoon spotlights featuring the
music of such composers and Meyerbeer. It was all arias sung by names like
Gruberova, Sutherland, Caballe, Horne, etc. I think the vocal community of
DC should make some noise and urge the return to this varied programming.
As for WETA, it always struck me as the "black tie" PBS station of that
area with all those heavy hitter corporate sponsors. I came to expect very
little from them in the way of original thinking.

Public radio has been hijacked by the Yanni crowd. Fight to get it back!

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com