Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri May 4, 2001  11:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS)

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> Our own KNAU, the voice of Northern Arizona University, has had a
> locked cabinet into which are placed all vocal CDs that come to the
> station. At one time the cabinet displayed a sign that said "Under
> no circumstances play any of these CDs on the air".
>
> I have argued with the station manager repeatedly that this policy
> will develop an audience that does not know vocal music and it is the
> responsibility of all NPR stations to develop audiences for all forms
> of Classical Music.

I am not surprised. I have come of the opinion that there
is no difference between "public" broadcasting and
commercial broadcasting, in that they all chase ratings and
commercial dollars. They both run advertisements (only the
style is different). They make programming decisions based
on ratings.

I don't know that there is a "solution". But what solution
there is must come from grass roots, from people like us
making our views known, doing out small part (like Lloyd
has).

This vocal music phobia is very odd to me, because opera
must be the most successful "classical" art from in the USA
at the moment. Orchestras all over are having trouble, but
opera is growing. In the old days, American singers could
not make a career in the USA. Now they can (though many
still go to Europe).

I'm convinced the "polling" that the classical broadcast
establishment relies on is flawed. They must ask the wrong
questions or ask them the wrong way. It's bad enough when a
real commercial station like our WGMS in Washington does it
this way - but for "public" broadcasting to do it this way?
Something's wrong with this picture. But my opinion and a
dollar will buy a cup of coffee. I'm depressed, but am not
giving up yet. I'm hopeful, in Washington at least, that
some public pressure tactics will convince our public radio
station to pick up the Met. The door is not closed. And be
sure I and my like-minded opera-lovers will be doing out
part to pry it open.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...