Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Thu May 3, 2001  1:21 pm
Subject:  Re: College students

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lisa Miller" <> wrote:
--- In
vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lisa Miller" <> wrote:
> I adjunct at two different schools (as well as teach privately),
and it
> seems as though most of the music majors (not just mine) are not
taking
> school seriously. Is it just me, or does this seem
> unusually common this year? I would like to hear what others'
schools'
> policies are on students who don't live up to their obligations.

No, it is not just you. I'm here at what we would like to think of as
a "premier" music program. I find that many students are content
to "squeak by" with the minimum amount of work possible.

I also find that many performance majors are not really interested
in "classical" performance. Why they're performance majors, I don't
know. They have to be forced to attend recitals (or have their grade
lowered) and I think they only listen to the pieces they need to
learn.

Among our policies: All voice majors and concentrations (i.e. any
music major with voice as their "instrument") must attend 15 recitals
a semester (including our weekly departmental recital) or have thier
grades lowered. Also, student who do not prepare enough repertoire
per semester have their grades lowered by TWO letter grades.

FWIW, which is probably nothing...

-JS

BdwayDiva1@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size