Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Apr 25, 2000  5:07 pm
Subject:  Re: the most beautiful songs

I suppose we reveal much of ourselves when we list our beautiful songs.
Personally there are so many, but here goes a tentative top ten list,
including arias(*):

When I am laid in earth - Purcell (*)
Schlummert ein - Bach (*)
Ich bin der Welt - Mahler
Widmung - Schumann
Die Nebensonnen - Schubert
Sposa son disprezzata - Vivaldi (*)
Asie - Ravel
Im Abendrot - Strauss
Apres un reve - Faure
Mache dich, mein Herze rein - Bach (*)

Looking at this list I realize that it's a bit morbid, thank goodness for
Widmung! OK, then, since I have few minutes - my top ten
not-morbid-beautiful-songs:

Widmung!!!!!!
Hans und Grete - Mahler (*)
Ich folge dir gleichfalls - Bach (*)
Ombra mai fu - Haendel (*)
Voi che sapete - Mozart (*)
Caro mio ben - Giordano
Che gelida manina - Puccini (*)
Adelaide - Beethoven (but it has to be Bjoerling!)
Bonne nuit - Massenet
My luve's like a red red rose - Scottish traditional (words by Burns)

But wait! Half of these are arias! What about ten songs that *I* could
sing, composed for voice and piano accompaniment, and not too morbid (maybe
a bit)? Here goes:

The Roadside Fire- Vaughan Williams
Waldesgespraech - Schumann
Auf einer Burg - Schumann
Auf dem Wasser zu singen - Schubert
Das Fischermaedchen - Schubert
Wandrers Nachtlied - Schubert
Staendchen - Brahms (which one? both of them!)
Bright is the Ring of Words - Dunhill
Widmung - what can I say?

And this after desperately trying not to continually cite Schubert or
Schumann. Ach! john

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada