Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Tue May 1, 2001  1:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grad School Auditions...

April, at the age of 21 or 22 most voices are still "on the move" and
unsettled. With the likely exception of the lightest lyric soprano voices
time, technique and the amount of singing one does will determine where the
voice is headed. At this age we generally take what is offered in terms of
repertoire. We want to hear what the instrument has to offer and observe
the performance and language skills of the singer. Don't worry too much
about what you sing, rather how you sing it.

regards,
Cindy Donnell

How important is it to stick to one general fach (such
as mezzo vs. soprano) when choosing grad school
audition pieces? I work on soprano and mezzo
repertoire, depending on the pieces of course, and I'm
hoping it doesn't really matter, but I'd like your
opinion. Is this an issue to the schools?
April Salerno

emusic.com