Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Tue May 1, 2001  12:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Lessons over the summer

> Incidentally, how would a voice teacher end up holding the bag for a
> lot of
> money? Don't almost all require payment either in advance or at the
> time of
> the lesson? Seems like any other policy would be too risky, especially
> with a
> new student who is not a "known quantity."

I usually expect payment/give payment at the time of the lesson unless
prior arrangements have been made, and wouldn't schedule further lessons
unless arrangement have been made. If it were a long standing student
and they had difficulty paying, I would cut back on the number of
lessons per week until they got caught up.

Sometimes there are community groups that can help outstanding students
financially. Local opera leagues sometimes provide scholarships, even
for students who are not at the University. Check with local music
clubs, opera leagues, churches, etc. about scholarships that can be
auditioned for for voice lessons.

Giving a recital and passing the hat or charging admission is another
way students could bring in some funds to cover the cost of lessons. If
a student is gifted and having trouble financially, the instructor can
consider adjusting their fee to accommodate them. As long as there is
a mutual understanding and respect, this can work out. I have taught
promising singers for free if they are really struggling, as long as
they know what they are receiving and don't take advantage of me.

Cheers,
Gina
Who does pay her Visa bill as long as it is correct :-)

emusic.com