Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon Apr 30, 2001  5:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Lessons over the summer

Axwell@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 4/28/2001 10:33:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> susanna_co@j... writes:
>
> << There are other considerations behind this than just the student's voice
> or the teacher's ego (as, is the student current on their payments to the
> last teacher?). >>
>
> Why is that any of your business ?

Well, first because if it turns out the student is an unreliable payer,
wouldn't you prefer not to find out the hard way?

Second, it could mean that the reason a student has come to you is
partly because they _can't_ have any more lessons with the old teacher
till they have paid up - I assumed this was what Susan meant. So in
order to carry on receiving the goods (in this case the lessons) the
student sidesteps the debt and goes to a fresh supplier (or teacher).
What you are doing there, unwittingly if you didn't know about it, is
helping to rob the previous teacher.

There are two quite different issues, whether the student has left the
first teacher, or whether s/he is "moonlighting". Years ago young male
pupil of mine took an interest in the lessons his friend was having, and
was allowed to sit in on them. He did have the grace to tell me about
this, and I was quite happy for him to do so, providing that any issues
this might have given rise to in his own singing were then discussed
with me. But he then white-lied his way into some lessons with this
teacher himself without telling me, and claiming I was going on holiday.
Since this other teacher and I were friends, it didn't take long for
this silliness to be found out, and she refused to teach him on ethical
grounds. In fact I would have been quite happy for him to get a second
input, providing - and this was most important - that if he wanted to
carry on with me, he reported back to me what he was learning. (He did
grow up eventually! and now has an operatic career)

cheers

Linda

emusic.com