Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M. Nuske" <earthbounddiva@w...>
"Lisa M. Nuske" <earthbounddiva@w...>
Date:  Mon Apr 30, 2001  12:53 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Grad School Auditions...

Jeffery Snider wrote:
>It has been an issue here, I can tell you. We ahve had sopranos who
>had different "fachs" represented on their audition repertoire and it
>looks like they haven't figured out what they are! (Which I'm sure
>sometimes they haven't!)

>Not that this is fair, but I would try to be consistent!

This issue is a real concern for many (particularly female) singers. Who
CARES if someone (or someone's teacher - as many people want to give all
credit for a student's progress to them -- yes - that was sarcasm...) has
not figured out what they are at 24 years old for God's sake! I did not
figure out what I was until I was 35! There were a lot of suggestions along
the way though, I promise you - and all it did was to confuse the issue
more.

People who are in the position to judge someone based on the repertoire they
present should already be aware of this problem for some voices and remain
flexible. A person should be able to present the things they sing the
best - why should this be a problem?

This issue hits home to me because of comments I've received from judges at
competitions and auditions. I can't tell you how frustrating it is as a
singer to be told I have to make a decision my body isn't ready to make.
But every single person sure had an opinion on my fach, I'll tell you - it
made me feel pretty schizophrenic and made me feel that I couldn't have a
career until the fach outcome was determined. And I haven't had that
career.

I guess my point here is that educators should be the LAST people to hold
young singers to one single fach. Put yourself in the shoes of the singer -
let them show you what they do well and damn the fach.

Okay - I think I'm done - this is such a personal issue for me. I know I
have the "goods" for a wonderful career, but I let this garbage get in my
way for years. I just now (at 36 years old) feel comfortable enough to
truly start my journey.

Have a wonderful day!

Lisa M. Nuske
Soprano and Voice Teacher
Appleton, WI
http://home.att.net/~earthbounddiva

You are the music while the music lasts.
~ T. S. Eliot ~

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11504 Re: Grad School Auditions... Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  4/30/2001   3 KB

emusic.com