Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Sun Apr 29, 2001  3:20 am
Subject:  Re: Voice Lessons over the summer

To be fair to NATS and to voice teachers in general, the Code of
Ethics is not intended to provide teachers with "ownership."

I have actually heard of cases where a student was working with two
teachers and one didn't know about it. Now, if I'm teaching a student
and that student is secretly working with another teacher, that
student still represents ME and MY teaching every time he or she
sings. It is not fair to me (or the other teacher for that matter)
that this student represents my work.

This is also why NATS prevents teachers from taking sole credit for a
student's success until the student has been with the teacher for at
least 8 months. It would be unfair, for example, for me to take sole
credit for a college freshman during the first semester (when our
regional NATS auditions take place) if that student had previously
had lessons. In many cases the students do repertoire learned with
previous teachers.

Not that I always agree with NATS, but for the Code of Ethics is
there to protect both teachers and students.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11471 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer John Link   Sun  4/29/2001   2 KB
11482 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer Jeffrey Snider   Mon  4/30/2001   2 KB
11484 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer John Link   Mon  4/30/2001   3 KB

emusic.com