Vocalist.org archive

From:  susanna_co@j...
susanna_co@j...
Date:  Sun Apr 29, 2001  2:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Lessons over the summer

I do disagree to some extent, Mike. I agree the bottom line is: it is
the student's voice to do with as they please.

On the other hand, as a TEACHER, I always ask inquiring potential
students if they are currently working with another teacher. As a
professional courtesy to the other teacher, I won't work with a student
unless:
*they are home from college and have the teacher's blessing to take
lessons in the summer with someone else
*they have completed their "contract" with the other teacher.

There are other considerations behind this than just the student's voice
or the teacher's ego (as, is the student current on their payments to the
last teacher?). In addition, teachers who have taught some of my
students at a later time, have called to discuss the student and their
previous work. It is important to be free to do that.

From the student's standpoint, one never knows when they will encounter
that teacher again perhaps in competition or auditions. Keeping things
as professional as possible never hurts!

Susan Nace
susanna_co@j...
susanna_co@j...