Vocalist.org archive

From:  Stephanie <smf78@i...>
Stephanie <smf78@i...>
Date:  Sun Apr 29, 2001  1:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] need advice

Hi
Thanks for your very thorar response.
At 13:04 28/04/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, Stephanie! If I had to give you advice, it would
>be to keep on taking lessons -- do you have a
>wonderful teacher you just love to work with?
Actually I'm in the precess of finding another one. I just don't seem to
click with the one I have.

>Your voice is the most
>important thing to get in order -- practicing, being
>super concentrated and focused during lessons,
>learning your music on time, and generally being a
>good student and a sponge for the training.
>TOtally aggree with that. I love practising and learning music, and love
>the challenge.
>Listen to *everything*
I'm on the right track then. I listen to everything from pop to opera,
music theatre and folk. As for what music I return too-mainly choral and
Christian. I love to sing for god and I also love choral music. (its how I
started singing in the first place)

>Also, consider what it would take to make a career out
>of singing the different types of music. Do you have
>the body and image for pop music?
I have no idea... I do write and compose my own music-both classical and
pop. I write mainly Christian pop and had some people listen to it. They
said that I should make a album. (that was said by a choir director who
heard the music and also gave me some tips on singing)

> Are you a good
>actress and do you love the stage, for musical theater

>No, thats not my thing at all. I can't act to save my life.

>cappella groups are great fun but there aren't very
>many of them, professionally, outside of colleges.

Pity about that because I love it. Maybe I'll start my own one day.

>feels good in choral music, and would you like the
>lifestyle of singing in a big choir for a living?
>Have no idea what the life-style would be like but I love singing in
>choirs. I haven't done much of it though.

>That's what I would advise you to do: With half of
>your energy, concentrate on making your voice the best
>it can be, putting in the hard work during lessons and
>during your practice sessions. With the other half of
>your energy, listen and learn and think about what
>type of music you would like to sing. It's much
>easier to give you "here's how to go about making a
>career" advice once you have a general idea of the
>type of music.
thanks very much for your advice.
Regards,
Steph