Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 28, 2001  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Lessons over the summer

In a message dated 4/28/2001 4:26:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lasharp@n... writes:
lasharp@n... writes:

<< NATS was only involved
regarding the ethics of teaching a student currently in another teacher's
studio >>

as if that teacher owned that student. my problem is this, we teachers
are the students' employees. like doctors, we tend to know more than our
customers though, that doesn't necessarily make us right. and like doctors,
we can get a little pompous with our authority and come to think that we are
owed some kind of devotion by the students who, btw, are paying us.

just as loyalty to a doctor, right up to the point were he is tossing
the first handful of dirt on you at your funeral, can lead to disappointing
results, so too can loyalty to a voice teacher. we are not your parents or
your gods, we are your teachers. if you don't get what you need from one of
us, by all means go to someone else. if working with two teachers at once
works for you, then do it. if one of them is such a baby he can't handle
being 'cheated on', don't tell him. it's none of his business anyway
(unless he's your uncle or something).

i don't know what NATS' ethics code is but, from the tenor of this
conversation, it seems designed to protect the teacher at the expense of the
student. hopefully, someone will demonstrate to the contrary. i would
hate to think that's true.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11465 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer Jeffrey Snider   Sun  4/29/2001   3 KB
11471 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer John Link   Sun  4/29/2001   2 KB
11482 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer Jeffrey Snider   Mon  4/30/2001   2 KB
11484 Re: Voice Lessons over the summer John Link   Mon  4/30/2001   3 KB

emusic.com