Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 28, 2001  10:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] cantoring in catholic churches

My experience is that church musicians in general are vastly
underappreciated. Singers maybe more so--after all, ANYONE can sing!

The experience that was the last straw for me was when my church told me that
they could not possibly give me a raise because there wasn't a cent
available. They said the same thing to the organist, but eventually relented
and gave him an increase. He was a member of the congregation, I was not.

Anyway, shortly after I relented and signed the contract without a raise (on
the understanding that they were flat broke--which they swore they were) they
had a very expensive, state of the art sound system installed that cost them
thousands of dollars. There was nothing wrong with their existing system that
I was aware of. That did it! I resigned as soon as I found out about it.

Judy

emusic.com