Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Sat Apr 28, 2001  4:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] need advice

Anne wrote:

>>just plain bitter but the attitude that those who play
instruments outside their own body are deserving of pay and singers are
not isnot that uncommon. Has anyone else found it to be so?

Yes, we've all been fighting this battle for years. I combat it by
referring to the voice as "God's instrument." It's the most special of
all (It's certainly the hardest to manage!) and deserves high respect.
There was a wonderful article published many years ago in the NATS Journal
entitled "Singer's Heaven." You can imagine that the point of it was that
a singer's idea of heaven would be going there and hearing, "Well done,
thou good and faithful MUSICIAN!" Anyway, it is out mission to educate
people, so let's spend our energies doing that instead of griping. Not all
singers are musicians; neither are all instrumentalists. The designation
must be earned.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com