Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Date:  Sat Apr 28, 2001  2:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] need advice

As a former Catholic Cantor, I have found that singers(except in large
wealthy churches downtown) (Baltimore) are not paid. In fact, where I
cantored a while back I wasn't paid and the pastor had the gall to bring
in checks for the "musicians" for the special Easter service, in front
of me. I had a music degree, too. But apparently I didn't count as a
"musician". At the time I was quite desperate for income so I chucked
that "job" theday after Easter. I guess I'm a tad"unchristian" should I
say or just plain bitter but the attitude that those who play
instruments outside their own body are deserving of pay and singers are
not isnot that uncommon. Has anyone else found it to be so? The same is
true of Musical Theater in the Community Theater setting. The actors
work their bums off and then the producers hire musicians to play while
the actors get nothing aside from the Applause--what is it that we're
living for!
Sorry for the mini-rant but most Catholic Parishes use volunteers as
cantors-some are quite good-some could cause a mass conversion to
another denomination--one with good music. I must admit that my
canatorring experience was about 20 years ago and perhaps thing have
changed. If they have please tell me. (I'm really a very positive and
upbeat person, really I am!) ANne

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11459 Re: need advice Karen Mercedes   Sat  4/28/2001   4 KB
11575 Re: Cantorial Schools (was: need advice) brian   Thu  5/3/2001   2 KB

emusic.com