Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Fri Apr 27, 2001  8:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Steroid Question...

Oral steroids are only for those times when you absolutely, positively must
sing. I recommend this only when you must do so to keep a job and that's
about all.

If you MUST use steroids, you need to start them 4-5 days ahead of the
performance, so you're a bit late.

Inhaled steroids might help and are a bit safer.

The problem is that they can reduce the swelling well enough that you overdo
it and injure your vocal folds.

LOTS of water and inhaled steam may help.

I have found that the majority of typical audiences won't be able to tell
your best voice from your worst. So, unless you can't produce sound, you
will probably seem fine to them.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

> I am giving a recital on Sunday afternoon (3:30 p.m., Mabee auditorium,
East
> Texas Baptist University), and my voice is trashed--about an octave lower
> than normal, due to a cold of some kind. I am considering using
prednisone,
> but I have never done so before. Can you (esp. those docs out there) give
> some advice on its usage--whether or not to use it, how soon in advance to
> use it, etc.

emusic.com