Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Thu Apr 26, 2001  5:00 pm
Subject:  Re: Voice Lessons Over the Summer

I promised myself I would stay in lurkdom forever to save my poor shoulder
from typing, but I had such a miserable experience with this in college, I
think I should share it with you.

My roommate, a soprano in the same teacher's studio with me, was preparing
her Master's recital. Our teacher, whom we adored and would have done
anything to please, was frustrated with "Sara's" progress. So over breaks,
thinking she might keep up better, Mary worked with a former teacher back
home.
When my teacher found out, she was livid, with Sara, the teacher back home,
ME (for not thinking to tell on Mary). Sara was almost thrown out of the
grad program, my teacher spoke to us only in the barest of minimum terms and
it was in general, awful.

Neither of us had any idea that it was an uncool thing to do. It made Sara
feel more confident, and better prepared, but our teacher and the vocal
dept. felt that it was
deceptive, unprofessional, and um...simply not done. NATS got involved, the
other teacher said she thought Sara was doing it with the knowledge of her
teacher and also disowned her for the trouble that was caused.

So...whether this is similar to your situation or not, you might want to
speak
with your teacher and perhaps get a recommendation for a summer teacher.

Good luck,

Laura Sharp