Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Apr 26, 2001  5:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] karaoke machine recommendations

leskayc@a... wrote:
> Pitch control? I have had a couple of these buggars (karaoke
machines) but
> never heard of one with pitch control-how does this work?

There are two ways to control pitch - analog and digital.

In the analog domain, pitch is controlled by speeding or slowing the
speed of the tape. This technique is very crude-sounding at more than
a semitone shift, because the timbre is shifted, not just notes are
shifted, since timbre is really just very high frequencies.

In the digital domain, pitch is lowered or raised by taking "samples"
of the basic tone, and the algorithm may change the pitch by
compressing or expanding the sampled waveforms while maintaining the
integrity of the higher pitches which determine timbre. There are
also limits to this... since vibrato happens at a much slower rate
than the sampling rate, the vibrato speeds are changed, even the
though the basic sound remains the same.

Tako Oda

emusic.com