Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Apr 26, 2001  2:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Placement and mouth position

Definitely try what your teacher says! For a number of reasons.

1. Different teachers may choose to work on things in a different order,
with the ultimate goal of having a more complete singer down the road. One
(perhaps your previous) may have been concerned with expressiveness and
diction, perhaps to correct something. Once corrected this teacher, or
another may well go on to (for instance) finer adjustments of the singing
tone.
2. Your singing voice heard by you in your head, is a great distraction to
developing the kind of voice that can fill a big room with beauty. We're so
used to imagining this is how we sound, hence the great shock of tape
recorders, and hence the need for someone outside of said head who knows
what to listen for.
3. Even if you didn't like the idea, it's good to try anything someone
knowledgeable might suggest, since it'll give you another way of viewing
your personal instrument.
4. Sometimes it's not clear *why* a teacher wants you to do something. You
can either ask, or (valuable) try to put yourself in her shoes and figure
it out for yourself. Of course sometimes revealing the purpose destroys it
- some things in singing can only come naturally, when your consciousness
is focussed on something else! (At least until you can reliably produce the
'natural' thing)
5. New things often need to be given time time to see if it works for you,
and time also to see if this is a direction in which you would like to go.

Just the thoughts of a relative novice to pedagogy. john