Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Apr 25, 2001  10:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Bach MAGNIFICAT editions

What intrigues me is how much more singer-friendly the Magnificat solos
are *without* the Edition Peters "suggestions" for tempi and dynamics. I
just knew in my heart of hearts that if I sped up the tempo just a few
notches on "Esurientes", I'd have very little trouble with that endless
run. My problem is *not* coloratura agility - it's that the slower the
coloratura, the more obvious the breaths in long runs seem to me - they
throw off my natural rhythm. I find I do better when the coloratura is a
little faster, rather than slower. The breaths seems to just take care of
themselves if my throat is allowed to move at its natural rate, instead of
being slowed down uncomfortably.

Does that make sense?

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
I sing hymns with my spirit,
but I also sing hymns with my mind.
- 1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11411 Re: Bach MAGNIFICAT editions Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  4/26/2001   3 KB

emusic.com