Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Wed Apr 25, 2001  2:11 pm
Subject:  Breathing AGAIN but new, I think

Sorry to risk the dragon of the breathing topic on the list but this
feels like new comment to me so please read on.

About a year and a half ago I worked hard on keeping the ribs
expanded. This improved things.
About six months ago I worked on low breathing. This improved things.
About a month ago I worked on releasing the lower abs. This improved
things.
Last night I found for the first time a 'connection to/expansion of'
the 'muscles' between my navel and my sternum. This improved things.
(Although much more work needed.)

I suspect that the last thing I've learnt is most important for the
connection/appogio stuff. Some of the 'sense of fullness' 'about to
vomit', 'pushing a piano' analogies actually make some sense now.
However, this area seems to rarely (if ever) occur in list discussions
of breathing. Topics cover :-
Open throat
Expanded ribs
Low breath
but not 'expanded area between navel and sternum'.

Question 1:
At the moment I'm only aware of using this area to breathe by touching
it and feeling it push against my hand, it almost doesn't feel like
part of me. How can I increase my muscle awareness in that area ? (Put
sticky tape on it like people use for furrowed brows ?)

Question 2:
Since the diaphragm pulls down and in, and the area above the navel
expands further than the extent of the ribs (so it's not being pulled
out by the ribs). What is moving this area outwards ? My suspicion is
the pushing up of the internal organs by contraction of the lower abs/
inguinal wall muscles, but Miller is still sat on the shelf with
Appleman so I haven't got that piece of knowledge in place. {I rather
like the image of Richard Miller and Ralph Appleman sat on my shelf,
where's cloning when you need it !:)}
(I know that I don't HAVE to know the physiology to make it work, but
I'm curious.)

Question 3:
Does this area have a name ?

Kevin

PS I almost skipped this bit because I'm not the least bit interested
in another round of 'Teachers should/should not teach breathing'.
(Yawn!)

Comment: Breathing's a bl**dy complicated process for something that
should be 'natural'. I was pretty amazed to find out how little I've
been using this area even though I produce a respectable sound
already.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11572 Re: Breathing AGAIN but new, I think Kevin Hollis   Thu  5/3/2001   2 KB
11573 Re: Breathing AGAIN but new, I think Colin Reed   Thu  5/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com