Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Apr 24, 2001  10:17 pm
Subject:  Bach MAGNIFICAT editions

I just bought a second of Bach's MAGNIFICAT in D, the Baerenreiter
edition. I've been working for years with the Edition Peters edition, and
I was *very* interested to see just how different these two editions are.
Where Edition Peters is extremely detailed in providing tempo markings and
dynamic markings, the Baerenreiter edition provides very few tempo
markings, and no dynamic markings.

Given these are both good publishers, my question is this: who's right?
Are the tempo and dynamic markings in the Edition Peters version Bach's
own, or the editor's "suggestions"? Or was the Baerenreiter editor just
lazy? The Baerenreiter states that its score is based on the Neue
Bach-Ausgabe. There is no information in the Edition Peters score about
its provenance.

I'm not even remotely a Bach expert, but I AM very curious about which of
these scores I should be working with. Any experts out there want to
weigh in?

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
We're sitting in the opera house;
We're waiting for the curtain to arise
With wonders for our eyes,
A feeling of expectancy,
A certain kind of ecstasy,
Expectancy and ecstasy....Sh's's's.

- Charles Ives

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11368 Re: Bach MAGNIFICAT editions John Link   Tue  4/24/2001   2 KB

emusic.com