Vocalist.org archive

From:  chosdad@c...
chosdad@c...
Date:  Tue Apr 24, 2001  12:36 am
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

Dear Tako and List:

I found this web site which has two short sound clips (see
http://www.guitarfoundation.org/hezy.html). The singer refers to
himself as a "tenor altino" which I think is more or less the same as
a "haute-contre" - a natural high voice with an easy "gear change"
into a light production. As another example, I believe British tenor
Rogers Covey-Crump, heard on many recordings with the Hilliard
Ensemble and other groups, is a haute-contre.

As I believe Tako and others have pointed out, above a certain pitch
it is generally believed that all of the higher male voices
(countertenor, "alto", tenor-altino, haute-contre, sopranist) do the
same thing (that is, use a similar kind of vocal registration), so the
distinction is really what happens in somewhat lower pitch ranges. I
think that haute-contres sing through the passagio (say up to say G4 -
above middle C - or even higher for some) much as tenors, but then
instead of going into an "operatic" type head-voice they go into a
more counter-tenor like head-voice. Certain barbershop "tenors" fit
this description - I think particularly of Gene Cokeroft of the famous
Suntones - if I get a chance I'll post a short clip of Gene.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12133 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chenweijie81@y...   Thu  5/24/2001   4 KB
12143 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Thu  5/24/2001   3 KB
12152 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Thu  5/24/2001   2 KB
12160 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Fri  5/25/2001   2 KB
12162 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Fri  5/25/2001   2 KB
12425 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chenweijie81@y...   Mon  6/4/2001   4 KB
12442 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Mon  6/4/2001   3 KB
12151 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Thu  5/24/2001   3 KB
12424 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chenweijie81@y...   Mon  6/4/2001   4 KB

emusic.com