Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 23, 2001  5:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Recording Studios

In a message dated 4/23/2001 12:34:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<<
Your comments are logical and not a slight bit cynical. Fine! But
the difference between recording for a professional recording or a
professional CD are quite different from the recording a student will
make in a voice studio. The former is intended to sell recordings or
the singer to an impresario. The latter is a record of what the
singer learned in the studio and offers the continuation of that
learning process between lessons.>>

i doubt most students make that distinction. they are more likely to
excuse flaws in their lessons and practice as these tapes are not for public
record of their abilities. however, their standards are still the same.
they hope to hear what they expect to hear, regardless of the situation.

<<The limits of singing in a voice studio are common knowledge among
voice teachers. We all attempt to her our singers in larger venues
as often as possible. In my own experience, when a singers quality
becomes unpleasantly strong in my studio I must hear that singer in
our auditorium to keep my perspective about his/her vocal quality.>>

for most singers, the experience is the small studio. for the singers
you are claiming to have adversly affected their voices by recording, their
experience includes the larger stages for more of their singing than any
other singers. with the possible exception of fischer-dieskau, the stage,
both in rehearsal and performance, makes up a larger part of their singing
time than the recording studio. therefore, these singers are far more
likely to know the difference.

<<Try a less sarcastic approach. You can do it.>>

my question to you betrays a suspicion rather than being sarcastic.
rather than blurt out my suspicions, i prefer to address the subject.
whether or not my personal style is sarcastic did not keep you from getting
the point of my question. now, if you don't like my personal style...too
bad.

mike

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and
celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
<A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/abHVlB/TM">Click
Here!</A> >>

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11323 Re: Recording Studios Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  4/23/2001   4 KB

emusic.com