Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Mon Apr 23, 2001  4:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Recording Studios

Dear Mike and Vocalisters:

You quoted me and wr ote the following:
>In a message dated 4/23/2001 12:11:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
>
><< The singers least affected by this phenomena are those whose
> recordings were done in a proper sized hall or were recorded live in
> performance. >>
>
> so lloyd, i guess your saying that students who tape their lessons or
>practicing in their teacher's small studios (small in comparison to properly
>sized halls) and their own practice rooms (living room, school practice room,
>etc.) will be adversly affected in the same way fischer-dieskau, schwarzkopf
>and caruso were?

Your comments are logical and not a slight bit cynical. Fine! But
the difference between recording for a professional recording or a
professional CD are quite different from the recording a student will
make in a voice studio. The former is intended to sell recordings or
the singer to an impresario. The latter is a record of what the
singer learned in the studio and offers the continuation of that
learning process between lessons.

The limits of singing in a voice studio are common knowledge among
voice teachers. We all attempt to her our singers in larger venues
as often as possible. In my own experience, when a singers quality
becomes unpleasantly strong in my studio I must hear that singer in
our auditorium to keep my perspective about his/her vocal quality.

Try a less sarcastic approach. You can do it.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11322 Re: Recording Studios Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  4/23/2001   4 KB

emusic.com