Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 21, 2001  4:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The third side of the triangle (WAS Power Performance for S...

In a message dated 4/21/01 4:22:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:
linda@f... writes:

<< I think there is a case for taking music by - well,
let's stick with Bach, and playing it on a brass band, provided that
it's understood that this is an _arrangement_. The first time I ever
heard Beethoven's first symphony was by brass band (well, eight brass
bands, actually, it was in the championship class of a competition). It
took me some time to get used to it with strings!

Yes, the Beethoven must have been something to hear! It's better with
strings. In the case of the Bach, however, I think most of Bach's pieces
were in the tradition of *gebrach (????) musik* where they are/were played by
the forces available: keyboard, broken consort or a combination, viols,
brass, winds, voices. The chorales particularly lend themselves to varied
instrumentation. Now, Linda, don't get after me about synthesizers and mics!!

emusic.com