Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 21, 2001  12:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: weird pain in ear

For what it's worth, here's what I found on exploding head syndrome:

From the Detroit Free Press website

'Exploding Head Syndrome' Harmless

Imagine drifting off to sleep only to be roused into a sudden panic by a
cataclysmic noise erupting inside your head.

The condition is known as "exploding head syndrome," and people who have been
affected by it describe the sound as a violent explosion or an enormous roar
"so loud it could kill me." Dr. Joel Saper described the unusual condition
last year in a column in the Detroit Free Press.

Don't expect your personal physician to have heard about this phenomenon. It
was only reported for the first time by a British physician in 1988. Since
then, only a handful of papers have appeared in the medical literature, most
of them small collections of case reports.

There's some evidence, however, that exploding head syndrome is far more
common than the scanty printed reports suggest. For example, after his column
appeared, Dr. Saper reports that he received "numerous letters from readers
who have experienced one or more of these episodes and who have been living
in fear." A follow-up report shares some of the personal comments from those
with the condition.

The medical evidence to date suggests that exploding head syndrome occurs
most often when falling asleep. Flashes of light or difficulty breathing
often accompany attacks, which occur sporadically and at any age. Stress may
contribute to the episodes, which usually disappear without any treatment.

Although alarming, the explosions don't appear to be symptoms of a stroke or
other life-threatening conditions. Electroencephalographic recordings of
actual attacks show unusual activity in some sufferers but not in others.
However, the brain recordings show that attacks are not a form of epileptic
seizure.