Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Apr 20, 2001  8:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Recording voice lessons?

Tenore Lirico wrote:

> What should students pick up from their recorded lessons? Is is alright to
> practice to them?
>
> Thanks,
> T.L.

I think it's fine to practice with lesson tapes. When I
first started out, it was the way I practiced. My teacher
encouraged that, saying it was like having a voice lesson
every day. I also found that singing with my tape and
listening to what my teacher said put my "back in time" to
my lesson, and allowed me to reinforce in a proper way the
things he was trying to get me to do - so when he stopped me
and corrected me, it made it more likely I'd do the right
thing in singing rather than the wrong thing. Without the
tape, I might be reinforcing the wrong vocal practice
without being aware.

Now that I have many years of lessons under my belt, I don't
feel the need to do this that often - but I highly recommend
it.

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com