Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Fri Apr 20, 2001  7:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The AH vowel

In a message dated 4/20/01 1:07:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:

<< I'm listening to a CD of Purcell's Come Ye Sons Of
Art, and am grinning at the memory of my oh-so-prim niece being in
trouble (it was called a "demerit") for the first and only time in her
school choir when they sang this, because on the phrase "grant, oh
grant", she and a friend were making piggy noises because they thought
it came out exactly like "grunt, oh grunt". I guess this only works in
southern English pronunciation. >>

Heee heee!! Reminds me of my husband's barking (didn't think he had the nerve
to do it in rehearsal... he did of course when we listened to the recording
at home) during the Mozart Requeim at the point where "Rex" "Rex" is
repeated with some silence in between the repetitions, before the chorus
continues, "Rex tremendo majestatis.

emusic.com