Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Apr 19, 2001  2:17 pm
Subject:  Taste in Singers, was:Mozart in falsetto/ how styles change (was: grumpy mozartians)

For much of my life I've had the desire to hear Emma Kirkby sing Brahms - I
thought that only she could really bring out the line in such a way as to
emphasise the harmonic and contrapuntal aspects of the music - however in
the last few years I've tended to gravitate towards Jessye Norman as the
closest-to-ideal exponent of that composer - and she has actually recorded
tons of Brahms - my taste changed. I bet it changes again.
All of the singers mentioned in this thread have impressed me in things
they've done - to take a few examples: Cheryl Studer's contribution to the
Abbado Mahler 8; Peter Hoffman as Siegmund; Siegfried Jerusalem in a lovely
record of Strauss songs. I don't mind mike's dislike of Heppner, though I
emphatically don't share it. Vive yer difference, mike! john
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com