Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 19, 2001  2:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mozart in falsetto/ how styles change (was: grumpy mozartians)

In a message dated 4/19/2001 8:38:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:
linda@f... writes:

<< And if your taste is for Purcell sung by someone who is more at home
with Wagner, to use an extreme hypothesis, then you go listen to them.
What you don't do is dismiss whole areas of scholarship and tradition as
worthless and tell everyone that it's a "given" (which is getting to
sound like a more and more clumsy expression every time I type it; it
was ok the first time when Isabelle used it - what is the word or
expression I'm groping for here, someone?)

linda,

i believe the original point was to question the validity of the use of
straight-toned singing in earlier music. the use of straight-toned singing
seems to apply to females singing parts that were originally sung by either
boys or castrati. as there are no legitimate models (one can't take
moreschi as a model of baroque and earlier periods being too recent. isn't
that a 'given'?), then any attempt at an historical rendering of this music
is an educated guess. we know what forte-pianos sound like as they are
still around. we can't say the same thing about the singers of previous
eras.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11267 HIP of vocal music thomas mark montgomery   Sat  4/21/2001   3 KB

emusic.com