Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  6:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Your favorite books

Robert Rushmore's THE SINGING VOICE remains one of the best non-technical
texts on the subject, IMO.

For Diction texts, I rely on Piatak for Russian, Colorni for Italian, and
Grubb and Bernac for French. I'd love an evaluation of the extant German
diction texts out there.

For "Opera Plots" books, my two favourites are the DA CAPO BOOK OF OPERA,
which is a very complete single-volume paperback, and Sir Denis Forman's A
NIGHT AT THE OPERA, which is never entirely serious but manages to be both
highly informative *AND* highly entertaining.

For books about singers, I'm very fond of Michael Scott's two-volume THE
RECORD OF SINGING, which is of great value even if you don't own the
companion CDs. I'm eagerly awaiting volume three!

For books on technique - I'm not terribly attached to any, though I refer
mostly to D. Ralph Appelman's THE SCIENCE OF VOCAL PEDAGOGY and Richard
Miller's THE STRUCTURE OF SINGING. But one volume I *am* very fond of is
Jerome Hines' GREAT SINGERS ON GREAT SINGING, which is a series of
interviews by Hines' with several of the "greats" of the opera in 1970s,
discussing each singer's approach to technique and performance.

For books on interpretation, I think Martial Singher's AN INTERPRETIVE
GUIDE TO OPERA ARIAS is invaluable. Boris Goldovsky's book on Soprano
Arias is also good, though the only aria in there that I can use his
advice on is "Voi lo sapete" from CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA.

And of course there are the various foreign-language dictionaries,
grammars, etc. that I rely on. My rule is to buy the biggest and best of
each dictionary, plus the 501 Verbs in each language, plus a fairly thick
paperback dictionary (for portable, quick reference). I also look for
dictionaries that include the IPA for each word.

km
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html