Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  6:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Patricia M Smith wrote:

> I believe that I addressed this by offering a number of modern composers
> in my previous posting addressing this subject (i.e. Steve Reich,
> Meredith Monk, etc. & let me add Arvo Part to the list while I'm at it).
> My point about symphony orchestras playing music by "rock" bands, which
> apparently wasn't clear, was that the style must have been influenced by
> classical music or training, otherwise it wouldn't work in both venues.

I don't know that I agree with you. I think the ability of a certain piece
of music to be adapted to another genre reflects much more on the ability
of the person doing the adaptation than on the presence or absence of the
influence of the adapted-to genre on the original musical creation.

You'll see what I mean when you turn your logic around the other way:
take, as an example, the Jimi Hendrix rendition of "The Star Spangled
Banner". By your logic, the originator of the drinking song that supplied
the melody on which Francis Scott Key set the text of the "Star Spangled
Banner" would have had to have been influenced by "acid rock" music as the
only explanation for why Hendrix's adaptation of the song to the "acid
rock" genre was so effective. By the same token, I doubt that many of the
peasants who originated the traditional folk tunes that were later adapted
by Vaughan Williams, Percy Grainger, Benjamin Britten, et al were even
AWARE of classical music let alone influenced by it.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html