Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  4:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] BAD singing

Trevor Allen wrote:

> If anyone wants to hear some SOUR stuff, I would like
> to suggest a Florence Foster Jenkins recording----"The
> Glory? of the Human Voice". It is a diamond. Charles
> Ives accompanying himself is also a kick to listen to.
>
> Trevor
>
> --- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
> --- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
> > The other evening I was at a party when I heard a
> > recording of a
> > tenor singing a *really* sour note. I was informed
> > it was from a
> > Donizetti performance at the Met more than a decade
> > ago, and that
> > this clip has become something of a cult phenomenon.

I love the Florence Foster Jenkins recording, but another really sour
production is the recording "Jonathan and Darlene Edwards in Paris". I first
heard this about 25 years ago and their version of I Love Paris is ... well,
words fail me. Jo Stafford aka Darlene Edwards is absolutely incredible at
finding just the wrong note at just the wrong time to really make you wince.
I wish I could find a CD of this! Anyone familiar with it?

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com