Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
"Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Fri Apr 13, 2001  12:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: THE AH VOWEL AND OPERATIC SINGING

GWendel wrote:

>The
> "hay" example (pronounced like "i" in "like", "mike", "bike", etc), even
> though a dipthong and not a vowel per se, still requires a vowel-sound
> similar to that required in English as noted in the above 3 examples.
Isn't
> the English vowel "i" also pronounced [a] + [i]?

[a] + [y], in fact. I think you're calling a vowel both letters and phonemes
and therefore concluding that /ay/ is ONE vowel. No, vowels are kinds of
phonemes and their alphabet representation may vary from language to
language and, in English, from word to word. If you take the word 'aisle',
for instance, the correspondence of the diphthong /ay/ exclusively with one
letter ( or, as you put it, one vowel ) in English proves incorrect.

Bye,

Caio Rossi
Sao Paulo, Brazil

emusic.com