Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Apr 13, 2001  5:29 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Chronic Coughing - NASAL LAVAGE

This is the best remedy for allergies and irritation
caused by inhaling gunk. Works well for colds as
well.
Nasal lavage.

The dreaded phrase. Yes, that's where you run saline
water up your nose and out your mouth (one nostril at
a time). You can do it yourself with a basting bulb,
or you can buy one of those Grossman tips for a water
pik (that dental attachment that streams water out)
and it will pulse the water up your nose for you. I
use that.

Okay, it's a little gross. I owned the thing for
months before I had the courage to try it. If you get
the amount of salt in the water wrong, it feels like a
million swimming pools up your nose. But it WORKS.

Basically, it rinses out your nasal passages and the
back of your throat. It frees up the cilia of the
nose so that they can do their gunk-fighting job
better. The guy who invented the water pik device
hangs out on the sinus newsgroup and is happy to
answer medical questions about it. It tickles a bit,
but it's truly not as bad as it sounds. I promise.

I read about it for at least a year on the old
Vocalist before I got up the guts to try it out. I'm
so sorry I didn't do it earlier.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte, ibracamonte@y...
San Francisco, CA
moderator of Vocalist: the mailing list for singers
(vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com)