Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Apr 13, 2001  3:32 am
Subject:  bel canto into a mic WAS: THE AH VOWEL AND OPERATIC SINGING

"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> The problem with a voice singing with maximum efficiency into a
> mike is that the mike does not react well to the formant peaks in
> such voice production.

Argh - I'm struggling with this problem right now. I am taking a
studio recording class, and trying almost everything to make my voice
sound OK in a mic less than 10 feet away. There is an awful buzzing
that occurs - I'm not exactly what one would call a large voice, but
the proximity effect causes the formants typical to a classical
singer to blow out the system.

You are so right that one must be careful. I really did find myself
tempted to "croon" in order to get a more tasteful sound on tape. I
even tried using parametric equalizers to take out the offending
spectral bands. The result was a totally lifeless sound. Finally,
I've come to the conclusion that I must mic myself in a more natural
setting and accept the ambient noise and reverberation absent in a
studio in favor of maintaining the bel canto ideal of vocal
production.

If any of you experienced classical recording artists/engineers out
there have any advice to share, I'd really appreciate it right now!

Thanks...

Tako Oda

emusic.com