Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Fri Apr 13, 2001  12:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC

I believe that I addressed this by offering a number of modern composers
in my previous posting addressing this subject (i.e. Steve Reich,
Meredith Monk, etc. & let me add Arvo Part to the list while I'm at it).
My point about symphony orchestras playing music by "rock" bands, which
apparently wasn't clear, was that the style must have been influenced by
classical music or training, otherwise it wouldn't work in both venues.

Pat

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:57:16 -0400 (EDT) Karen Mercedes
<dalila@R...> writes:
<dalila@R...> writes:

> Different subject entirely: The influence of pop music on classical
> music.
> Which, frankly, I'd find much easier to write about than the other
> way
> around, which is why I admire the original poster for undertaking
> the
> subject of the influence of classical on modern music. The
> interesting
> thing is that she said "modern" not "popular". There is actually
> modern
> classical music, so the whole paper COULD be devoted to how earlier
> classical music traditions have influenced modern composers.
>
> KM
> =====

11165 Re: CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC Karen Mercedes   Mon  4/16/2001   3 KB

emusic.com