Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Wed Apr 11, 2001  7:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] question on soprano's enunciation

> It is not possible for any
> singer to produce
> partials below the fundamental frequency of the sung
> pitch.

This brings up something I've been meaning to ask
about for a while. I've noticed that on certain vowels
(most noticeably [i]) sung at or above the C an octave
above middle C I can hear a tone (undertone?) an
octave below the pitch being sung. I've always assumed
the fundamental frequency was equivalent to the sung
pitch, and that you could have overtones but not
undertones. Am I hearing things? lol - I didn't
realize how funny that saying was until I typed it.

Jennifer