Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Mon Apr 24, 2000  11:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Climb Ev'ry Mountain for lyric voice?

--- Jennifer Fretwell <jfretwell@h...> wrote:
> My voice teacher has me working on Climb Ev'ry
> Mountain from the Sound of
> Music. It occurred to me the other day that this is
> a very dramatic piece
> best suited to a heavy voice.

Dear Jennifer,

Just in case you'd like to know; Climb Ev'ry Mountain
was written for a mezzo (I guess a beafy one!)

I prefer it sung by a hefty old mezzo, but there's
absolutely no reason why a lighter voice shouldn't
have a crack at it. As for you not being heard if you
sang it with an orchestra, I think that highly
unlikely, as the orchestration is not so dense that
it's crash bang wallop! On tour in England I once
heard a relatively young artist sing it with a light
mezzo voice and she spun a lovely lyrical tone which
made one gasp with it's beauty. She did not once
allow herself to oversing, and consequently it was a
work of wonder!

Go ahead, sing it if you want, and don't if you want.
One of the lovely things about singing (as I'm sure
the list would agree) is the variety of ways a number
can be sung/performed. Makes for an interesting old
life. I myself, being a high lyric baritone,
occasionally sing more dramatico type things in
concert such as Eri tu from Ballo, or sometimes
heavier tenor things like E Lucevan le Stelle from
Tosca. Not that I would ever perform these roles you
understand, but just occasionally I think, what the
Hell!! It makes a change!

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England.