Vocalist.org archive

From:  susanna_co@j...
susanna_co@j...
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Should Singers Swim?

I had to stop swimming on a regular basis because of the irritation
caused by chlorine in public pools. Now I am doing a lot of walking,
basic weights, and Tai Chi.

Also battling the middle-age bulge,
Susan Nace
susanna_co@j...
susanna_co@j...
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:09:49 EDT dorisopran@a... writes:
> In a message dated 4/10/01 11:18:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> leskayc@a...
> writes:
>
> << Swimming is the only exercise that
> I can even bear to think about doing on a regular basis, but
> somewhere in
> the
> back of my mind it seems I have heard that singers should avoid
> swimming
> pools like the plague. Is this true? It seems to me that it might
> be
> beneficial to the breathing apparatus.
> >>

> I agree that swimming is wonderful exercise for gals in our phase of
> life.
> I also remember a bit on television some time ago about a Met tour
> and it
> showed Flicka vonStade and a bunch of other singers plunging into a
> hotel
> swimming pool. Don't give credence to whatever you may have heard
> about
> swimming being contra indicated for singers.
>
> Why don't you also try the stationery (or 10 speed outdoors in good
> weather)
> bike? Start with very little time and effort on it and gradually,
> gradually
> build up, and reward yourself each time with swimming your laps or
> the sauna
> or both, whatever you enjoy.
>
> About the foot problems: get thee to a podiatrist! Perhaps
> orthotics would
> help you enjoy walking again. I need the larger ones for my
> sneakers and
> hiking boots and the smaller ones for dressier shoes, and I have
> several
> friends with the same experience. One friend got orthotics before
> she had
> problems. I have yet to find out how or why she was so farsighted.
> (She's a
> pianist and a Ph.D., so maybe that would explain it.) Your
> podiatrist will
> also advise you about stretching and will diagnose the cause of and
> address
> whatever pain you are experiencing.
>
> Swimming is wonderful exercise for everyone, especially singers, but
> we all
> need to "cross train," and stretching is crucial. We see more and
> more
> reports from the experts about how so many people are not exercising
> enough,
> about the ill effects of a sedentary life and the positive effects
> of getting
> oneself moving.
>
> Doris, one of the New Jersey sopranos
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Susan
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart
and sings it to you when you've forgotten the words."