Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Mon Apr 9, 2001  4:54 am
Subject:  the "AH" vowel

Dear listers,

I've really enjoyed the dialogue on vowels that has been going on here
over the past few days. I'd like to toss in my two cents (Canadian)
worth! I use many vowel specific mini vocalizes in my teaching both to
target correct vowel formation and to contrast closely related vowels.
I got started on this idea after coming across Edith Skinner's book
"Speak with Distinction". This book, which uses IPA, covers all the
phonemes of the English language as it is spoken in North America.
There are practise lists of words and phrases that target every phoneme,
including all the vowels, diphthongs, triphthongs, consonants (voiced
and unvoiced, aspirated and unaspirated), double consonants, consonant
clusters etc. that one could ask for. Although this book is primarily
designed for actors speaking on the stage, I've found the information it
contains to be very useful for singers as well. Once these phonemes are
secure, they are easily "translated" into the other languages we sing.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com