Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Apr 8, 2001  6:14 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The AH vowel

Dear Isabelle and Vocalisters:

The first AH vowel (File) is usually described as the Italian AH and,
in speech it is brighter than the typical American AH vowel.
However, many Italian singers use a variety of AH vowels depending on
where in their vocal range they are singing. Pavarotti is an
excellent example of this. Sometimes the differences in these forms
of the AH vowel are are described as the Italian AH with cover. Not
incorrect, just less accurate. We are blessed in English in that we
have all of the forms of the AH vowel as part of our language and we
can simply decide which to use to accomplish the vocal needs that
these various forms of this vowel can provide.

PS. With all of my imagination and manipulation and years of
experience, I am completely unable to make any form of the UH vowel
sound forward or upper such that it will sound like the AH vowel in
"File" without greatly distorting my vocal tract and creating strong
amounts of tension. Have you learned to sing with an accommodation
of the vocal tract that is this different?

Lloyd

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10933 UH vs. AH (forward vowels and regional dialects) Isabelle Bracamonte   Sun  4/8/2001   3 KB
10936 Re: UH vs. AH (forward vowels and regional dialec Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/8/2001   5 KB

emusic.com