Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Apr 8, 2001  12:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The AH vowel

> > File
> > Father
> > Shout
> > Shun

Extremely interesting. The first is forward
(correctly placed, in my vocal lexicon), the second is
"normal" American AH, while the last two are backward.
For me.

Actually, the first one replicates the sound that
happens in my mouth when I think of a forward, upper
"UH" sound. So I guess I do have a rather more
forward concept of UH than most people.

I take it that this AH vowel ("File") is the more
Italianate sound? Both of my Italian diction books go
out of their way to say that all vowels in Italian are
brighter and more forward than their American
counterparts.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...
ibracamonte@y...

10931 Re: The AH vowel Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/8/2001   4 KB
10933 UH vs. AH (forward vowels and regional dialects) Isabelle Bracamonte   Sun  4/8/2001   3 KB
10936 Re: UH vs. AH (forward vowels and regional dialec Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/8/2001   5 KB

emusic.com