Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  5:11 pm
Subject:  re: Power Performance for Singers Workshop

A lot of people seem to be upset by the following statement which Lisa
Nuske shared from her notes on the recent Shirlee Emmons/Alma Thomas
workshop:

><< 1) Alma talked about that as performers, we have to perform for ourselves,
> not the audience, or any other reason, and we need to take ownership of our
> performances by not giving anything away.

I was not at the workshop but for whatever it's worth, my interpretation of
the statement is that it has more to do with individual motivation and the
desire to please rather than with the actual performance. Of course it's
true that we sing to share with an audience! However, for some people the
motivations about whom to please can get tangled up in family
relationships, self-esteem, etc. And for those people it's important to
remember that they don't *have* to please anyone with their singing, nor do
they have to justify their right to sing through any external means. They
sing because of an individually-held need, not because of external
circumstances. Because we practice an art that is constantly being
evaluated by others -- by subjective criteria, no less -- it can be all too
easy for some personality types to get overly attached to the judgments of
others, to the detriment of their singing.

In the case of auditioning, for example, many singers feel that they have
to fit a certain standard in order to feel good about themselves, and that
the success of the experience will be defined by whether or not they get
the job. That is a perfect example of giving something away.

Lisa, if you have a minute, I'd be curious to know what Ms. Thomas actually
meant by what she said! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the workshop!

Naomi Gurt Lind

Please note: I've got a new e-mail address. From now on, please zap me at
omigurt@m... Thanks!
omigurt@m... Thanks!

emusic.com