Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  5:00 pm
Subject:  re: closed mouth, etc.

Gina wrote:

>This soprano (who advised not to open the mouth, etc.) has big,
>beautiful high notes (in spite of her technique?) but they seem
>disconnected from the rest of the voice, and the middle is rather
>wobbly. But she is working, working, working!!!

Of course you know this already, Gina, but I want to stress it for anyone
who reads this list who is not very experienced: Just because a singer is
getting a lot of jobs does not mean that we should imitate his/her
technique. Excellent, healthy vocal technique and employability are not
necessarily two peas in the pod. A singer with other assets can get jobs
but may not be able to sustain a long career. And because things at a high
level are booked well in advance, the level of vocal health that a person
shows at the audition stage can change (for better or for worse) by the
time rehearsals begin on the gig.

You are so smart to ask questions about the concepts this woman has shared
with you and search for the conclusions that work for *you*. Voices and
bodies are so widely varied that I have lately begun to feel that there is
no one true method -- all methods are modified according to the individuals
who practice them, and all methods can be mis-applied.

Best wishes!
Naomi Gurt Lind

Please note: I've got a new e-mail address. From now on, please zap me at
omigurt@m... Thanks!
omigurt@m... Thanks!

emusic.com