Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  5:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] met chorus and other pay chori

I met and coached with Greg Buchalter, the chorus master for the Met a
couple of summers ago. His perspective on the Met chorus is that it is
full time-plus, and you must give up all aspirations of a solo career if
you want to be in the Met chorus. There is a Met extra chorus or
supplemental chorus which is not as all consuming. If I recall
correctly, they hire supplemental chorus on a per production basis. It
depends on what kind of commitment she wants to make. The Met chorus is
considered to be one of the best full time choruses in the world. It
pays very well.
If she was an apprentice at DiCapo, and won first prize, couldn't she
use that as a starting point for her career, and then decide how much
travel she wants to do from there? Just asking.

Gina

> hey everyone,
>
> my sister is contemplating auditioning for the met chorus. last
> year,
> she was an apprentice with dicapo opera and won their competition's
> first
> prize. she was recently in (small role) the premier of coppola's
> 'sacco and
> vanzetti' in tampa. her repertoire is wagner and the heavier strauss
> roles.
> being in her early forties, she is realizing that the chances of
> singing
> full time are getting smaller plus, she and her boyfriend are happy
> together
> and i don't think she wants to go all over the place. she is
> wondering if
> singing in the met chorus would be better than doing some stupid temp
> job.
> i think her fear is that if she gets into the chorus, how limiting
> would that
> be for her outside performing?

emusic.com