Vocalist.org archive

From:  yahoo@h...
yahoo@h...
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  4:08 pm
Subject:  Copyright Violation (was Re: Choral Singing Can Keep You Healthy)

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Margaret Harrison <vocalist-temporary@y..., Margaret Harrison < > it's nice to know that something I enjoy so much is good for
> me!
(snip)
> >From the Boston Globe 3/31/01
(another snip)
> >© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.

I hate to "rain on the parade," but redistributing copyrighted
newspaper articles in this manner is against the law. The
owners/moderators of Vocalist-Temporary should immediately remove the
message containing the Globe's article. Here's an excerpt of the
Globe's online copyright policy:

"You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform,
modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any
such content, nor may you distribute any part of this content over
any network, including a local area network, sell or offer it for
sale, or use such content to construct any kind of database."

For future reference, what *is* legal is to refer to the existance of
an article, along with a summary of its contents, it's author,
publication source, etc., along with a Web address of an online
version of the article, assuming it's still available. In this case,
the Globe version isn't, because they only keep articles online for
two days, but my local paper, the Arizona Republic, has a copy still
available at:

http://www.arizonarepublic.com/news/articles/0331singing31.html

The law is clear, and I'm just trying to bring the copyright issues
involved to the attention of the members of this group. Whether you
choose to follow the law or break it is your own personal decision.

Peace,
David Topping

emusic.com