Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M. Nuske" <earthbounddiva@w...>
"Lisa M. Nuske" <earthbounddiva@w...>
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  2:40 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

Karen Jensen wrote:
I'll pick up on one of the points you mentioned: Alma Thomas'
statement that "as performers, we have to perform for ourselves, not the
audience, or any other reason, and we need to take ownership of our
performances by not giving anything away". I can see where it is important
not to 'give away the performance' if that means giving up artistic
responsibility, personal self-worth as an artist, the ability to judge how
the performance went, etc., but I would disagree with the statement that we
perform for ourselves. A spirit of generosity, giving, wholeness, and of
sharing my slice of human experience, to me is an essential part of
performing.(Just one 'take' on that particular point.)

I agree with this too Karen, but Alma did say that even though we perform
for ourselves, we can and should share the performance - but we can't forget
why we're doing it in the first place. It is for ourselves, because it
gives us enjoyment, and it's who we are. She talked about giving the
performance away, as opposed to owning it. And I think as performers we do
forget sometimes why we do this thing we do and make it all about giving up
ourselves for the audience. If we do that, eventually, we lose who we are
and why we perform.

Lisa

emusic.com